Welcome to the Transfusion Handbook
5th edition : January 2014
PDF version (identical to the printed book) (right click this link and select 'Save Target As...' to download a copy to your pc.)
- The PDF version is identical to the hard copy of the book. It is fully printable and may be used to make slides, handouts etc.
- It may be amended from time to time in the light of new information. Any changes from the printed 4th edition will be notified on the page "Changes and Updates".
- Copies of the printed book can be ordered from TSO - for details see below
- This is fully searchable and contains references, links and enlarged copies of tables and figures for printing and download.
- It may be amended from time to time in the light of new information. Any changes will be listed on the page "Changes and Updates".
Purpose of the handbook:
The purpose of this handbook is to help the many staff involved in providing and using blood products to make sure that the right blood product is given to the right patient at the right time. Among those who must cooperate to achieve this are:
- clinical staff who assess the patient and prescribe and order the blood product
- laboratory or pharmacy staff who receive the order and prepare the product
- porters and transport staff who collect and deliver samples to the blood bank and deliver blood to the patient
- nurses and other clinicians who ensure that blood is administered correctly and who observe the patient during and after the transfusion
- phlebotomists and others who obtain and send pre-transfusion samples
- telephone operators who have to make vital contacts in an emergency.
The website www.learnbloodtransfusion.org.uk has sections with the key information for these groups of staff.
Users' comments are welcomed. Please go to Contact Us (select 'Handbook of Transfusion Medicine'). The editorial committee cannot respond to individual comments and questions but will review received comments regularly and incorporate responses in periodic updates to the site.
Copies of the Handbook for Transfusion Medicine, 4th Edition can be ordered from TSO:
Online from www.tsoshop.co.uk
By Mail, Telephone, Fax or E-mail
TSO, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GN
Telephone orders / General enquiries: 0870 600 5522
Fax orders: 0870 600 5533
Textphone 0870 240 3701
Discounts may be available for larger orders.